Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Chapter 3: Isn't it Time for a New Chapter?

1-85326-665-7
0-88088-063-5
0-375-50291-2
0-39532-771-x

Do these numbers look familar to you? If you are a bibliophile like my wife and me, you know these numbers pretty well. Maybe not those exact numbers, but you know why they are significant.
They're ISBN numbers which are used to help avid readers like myself to find a book and if needed order it from my local library or bookstore. Started in 1966 as a project for booksellers in the UK, the ISBN or International Standard Book Number is the most vital of cogs to the clock which is known as the global book industry.
And yes, the numbers do mean something. depending on thw placement of dashes, the number help identify a books category, country of origin, publisher, and the system even has a method of insuring quality control.
Now take a look at this number:
978-0785122029
Notice anything different? No? Well, look again.

978-0785122029

That's right, this ISBN numbers has 13 digits, three more than the group of numbers I first quizzed you about. Because there are some many books, and so many new publishing companies and as every tele-communications tells you the world is getting smaller. So naturally, the ISBN number is getting smaller.
In my research for this Dewey project. I happened to read a literary publication, which I now have no idea what the title was, that this change, slated to start January 1st, 2007, is resulting in many books being put out of print in order to be re-published with the new 13-digit numbering. It's also why I can't get my library to order any new copies of Ultimate Spider-man at this time.
So consider this your public service announcment for the day. If you just can't find that special book at your local retailer or libaray due to being OOP (Out of Print): fret not. It's almost guaranteed to be reissued, with a new ISBN, shortly.
Also, check Amazon.com, as they are listing books with both the old and new numbering systems for you convenience.

Oh, and I almost forgot: the answers to the names of the books I used for the ISBN numbers are as follows:
1-85326-665-7 is "The Secret Agent" (Wordsworth Classics) by Joseph Conrad
0-88088-063-5 is "The 12 Cats of Christmas" by Wendy Darling
0-375-50291-2 is "Seabiscuit" (Hardcover) by Laura Hillenbrand
978-0785122029 is Excalibur Classic Volume 3: Cross-Time Caper Book (Marvel Comics)

0-39532-771-x is a made up number. However, publishers do use "X" at the end of the ISBN to prevent copyright infringment.

Thanks to my friends and colleagues at Wikipedia for explaining to me just what an ISBN number is and does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home